Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Confessions of a K-culture convert.

I would have to say, I never expected the K-wave to be of tidal (HAHA) proportions. I've always thought of it to be a tiny wave. As in it would dry up on the beach.

Rain would die down to a drip and tear-jerking, formula-following K-dramas would get so tiresome aunties would soon turn of the taps.

I was wrong. Somehow, I've been sucked into the whirlpool of K-culture. KimChee! Boybands! Screaming, raging fanboards with hundreds of fans posting pictures and pictures of their idols! Animated icons flashing from every corner of the fanboards!

Someone stop me! But who could resist the face of a 21 year old man who looked like a 15 year old. How pedophilic. No matter how strange and disturbing it sounds, you, like me, will fall under his spell.

Look at that. Look at that and tell me the truth. Can anyone resist the cherubic smile of that man-child? No. No you can't! Once I saw him, once I heard his manly voice I knew! I knew my future was at hand.

I now proudly wear the badge of a K-culture convert!

No. No. You can't change my mind. I've even photoshop-ed my face next to his. (go to nicole's blog. I'm too embarrassed to show it here)

I've tried learning to speak it, to futile attempts. It started with "An nyoung ha seh yo", hello in Korean. (can anyone blame me for not being able to say that?! It's like speaking English without a tongue.) Then thinking that I know more than I actually know I said, "saranghae is sorry!"

Needless to say, my Korean-speaking friend burst out in laughter after staring at me stupidly. "Saranghae" is I love you. and "Myah Neh" is Sorry.

But as I soon found out. It'll be quite impossible to ever visit Kim Kibum. (yes that is his name. His name might sound funny to you! But I bet in some countries, your name means glutinous maximus in their language!) He'll never come to Singapore. I am desolate.

Well friends. If you know me, you can console me by getting me pictures of him. Hopefully, for my birthday. He'll be my present. Yes. Yes. You can mail him to me. Remember to pay for postage!

- pictures of him -


















- Don't judge me. I'm human. I've seen the errors of my K-hating days -

No comments: